Friday 17 October 2014

Summer Came Back


Well, possibly an exaggeration to say summer's back but it stopped raining and it was warm enough so the last two days have been spent having fun painting silk scarves in the garden.

I get my silk very wet before starting as I love the unpredictability of the shapes and patterns which I don't fully see until the silk dries. So I paint in an abstract manner and concentrate mainly on the colours. Sometimes I use gutta but, because I like to use so much water, the gutta doesn't completely resist the dye. This creates a fantastic dragging effect along the gutta with more of an appearance of texture and depth. The scarves looked gorgeous with the sun behind them but my phone didn't like taking pictures into the sun so I just did my best (with the oh so glamorous pegs keeping the scarves fairly straight).

And, while waiting for each scarf to dry, I started bottling up my flavoured vodkas and gins ready for the private view. I love the intensity of the colours in the sunshine.
















1 comment: